- is well connected and has a voice
can initiate and be involved in activities that support the community
In addition, the existence of the Forum means that:
- funds can be raised for the village generally or earmarked for specific purposes
everybody involved in community events and activities is insured
There is already lot of activity in the village which include events organised by the Village Hall Committee, the Church the Choir the Bush and charities, including the NSPCC.
However, there isn't anything in the village that takes a village-wide perspective. For example, the main purpose of the Village Hall Committee is to maintain the hall, the Church is serving the needs of the congregation and the charities are focussed on their causes. All that is great and also provides the opportunity for the village to come together.
But there is no one place where people can find out what's going on, air issues and concerns and put forward ideas for activities.
The aim of St Hilary Forum is to meet these needs.
In the first few years the main activities have included:
- purchase, installation and maintenance of a new village notice board
- leading a campaign to adopt the red telephone box
- a bi-annual village bake-off
- clearing the Church wall
- a monthly newsletter
- ongoing planting in No Man's Land
- litter picking (in conjunction with the walking group)
- path and stile maintenance
- improving access up to the Clump
- clearing and maintaining the iron bench on St Hilary Down
- developing a calendar of village events and activities