In addition to releasing photos of the filming when the programme has aired, and the promise of a tour around the Tardis film set in Cardiff when we are allowed out, the BBC has made a donation of £1,500 to the village.
The £1,500 donation has been paid into the St Hilary Forum bank account.
This is a village wide donation and The Forum is just the mechanism by which payment is made, so there will a two stage process for deciding how to use the donation:
- The first phase will be drawing up a long list of ideas – the deadline for submitting ideas will be 28 February
- The second phase will be considering the ideas and deciding which one(s) to take forward
It might seem complicated, but we want to ensure that everyone has the chance to participate, especially when we are not allowed to meet in person.
Phase 1: Submission of ideas by 28 February
You can submit ideas for the use of the donation by:
- Texting or leaving a message on 07977 492926
- Leaving your idea in a sealed envelope in the telephone box (please mark the envelope “BBC submission”)
It would be great if children submitted ideas as well.
The names of people who have submitted ideas will not be made public, but please provide your name and contact details in case we need to contact you for clarification (eg two ideas might be very similar and it might be best to amend them slightly and combine them into one).
Ideas are easy, implementation not necessarily so! So, it would be helpful if you could provide some (very) brief details about your idea(s). For example:
- Social event ideas: what/where/when/format/participants and an estimate of cost if possible
- Buying something to use at village events or for general use in the village: what/size/number and, again, an estimate of cost/budget if possible
- Other ideas which benefit life in the village: an explanation of what it is and how much expenditure might be involved
- It would also be helpful if you could indicate whether you would be happy to help implement the idea and, if so, in what way (note: “help” is not the same as “lead”).
Please submit your idea(s) before 28 February
Phase 2: Deciding how to spend the money
The ideas will be collated, which could require some merging of ideas if they are similar, and some suggestions might involve further work to flesh them out.
When that is done, the list of ideas and proposals will be distributed to residents, by email and paper, inviting comments from both adults and children.
The Forum Panel, together with several other residents representing a wide range of interests, will then consider the comments and review the ideas and proposals and make a recommendation about which to take forward. It is possible, depending on costs, that two or more proposals could be taken forward.
Factors that will be taken into account will include, but will not be limited to:
- The general support for the idea gleaned from the comments and from informal discussions with other villagers
- How practical it is to implement
- If needed, how much input by villagers is involved, and by whom
- Benefits, costs and risks
The recommendation(s) will be shared with the village before being finalised.
The aim is to have completed the decision-making process by 31 March.