St Hilary Community Website

...because the community matters

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

History of New Beaupre House

 
New Beaupre House is a two-storey, double pile late Georgian house, with later mid 19th century wings to the southeast and northwest ends. The house was built in the 1820s for Daniel Jones a lawyer and philanthropist of Llantwit Major, who founded the Cardiff Royal Infirmary. It is a Grade II listed building.  BeaupreHospital

On 2 July 1909 the Glamorgan Gazette reported that the property failed to get a purchaser:
The historic residential, sporting, and agricultural estate known as Beaupre was offered for sale by Messrs Stephenson and Alexander at the Mart, High-street, Cardiff, on the afternoon of the 25th inst., together with a number of other properties in the Vale of Glamorgan near Cowbridge. The property was divided up into 11 lots, but at the outset the first seven lots, including "New Beaupre," Howe Mill Farm, and Old Beaupre," were offered together. They were withdrawn, however, at £25,000, and then offered separately. It is not often that a property of such associations as the Beaupre Estate is brought under the hammer of the auctioneer, and it must have been painful to Mr. D. T. Alexander to confess that the result was most disappointing”. (1)

New Beaupre as a 1st World War Auxiliary Hospital

During the First World War the house was used as a Red Cross convalescent hospital (2).  See the photo above.

Cowbridge and Llantwit Major District: Red Cross Hospital
Minutes of Public Meeting held October 15th 1915

BeaupreLetter  
A public meeting was held on Friday October 15th 1915 in the Council Chamber of the Town Hall, Mr D Tilley in the chair, to consider the question of opening a Red Cross Hospital for Cowbridge and district.
 
A requisition has been received from the War Office by Mrs Byass, Llandough Castle, Lady Chairman for this Red Cross Division to provide further accommodation for wounded soldiers.
 
A resolution was put to the meeting by Mrs Byass as to whether an attempt should be made to open a Red Cross Hospital for Cowbridge and district, seconded by Mr Fred Dunn and unanimously carried.
 
The house mentioned for the purpose being Beaupre, which would be let by the owner, Mr Thurstan Basset, at a rental of £52 per annum, exclusive of rates. Mrs Byass would very kindly make herself responsible for the rest.
 
Proposed by Mr L Chard, seconded by Mrs Byass, and carried that Mr D P Davies, manager of the National Provincial Bank be appointed Treasurer for the Hospital Fund. Donations to the amount of £250 have already been promised. One of the donors, Mr Illtyd Nicholl, late of The Ham, Llantwit Major, in addition to the donation, would give 10 shillings weekly towards the upkeep of the Hospital.
 
The question of the management of the Hospital being discussed. It is understood it would be managed entirely by Red Cross Officials, the accounts being published periodically, and inspected by Military Officials of the Western Command.
 
Resolved that a committee be formed of the ladies present, with power to add to their number, to meet on Friday October 22nd at 3 pm to arrange the districts to be canvassed for Hospital equipment, weekly subscriptions of money or things in kind.
It was also resolved that Mrs (?Mr) Byass as Honorary Assistant Secretary and the Honorary Treasurer Mr D P Davies be empowered to sign cheques on the Hospital Banking Account.

On 21 January 1916 it was reported that: 

Mr P. Thurston Bassett, the owner of Beaupre House had let the premises with its extensive grounds to be used as an auxiliary hospital, at a nominal rental of £52 per annum. Mr Byass of Llandough Castle, who received a requisition from the war office to provide further accommodation for wounded soldiers generously held himself responsible for the rent. Following a public meeting a fully equipped hospital emerged. Everything needed had been given voluntarily. On the day that the hospital was opened for inspection it was called ‘Pound Day’ i.e. all visitors were asked to bring a pound of something, such as tea, cocoa, butter etc. During the afternoon there were crowds of visitors. No-one came empty handed, and the institution benefited largely by the day’s proceedings. The honorary secretary and quarter master is Mrs Chard, the commandants Mrs Shepherd and Mrs Williams, Llantwit with an excellent staff of Red Cross Nurses. The decorations were carried out by Mr W.J Davies (3).
 
 On 25 August 2016 Glamorgan Gazette reported the following:
There will be a pound day in aid of Beaupre Red Cross Hospital on Wednesday August 30th. All contributions will be greatly received at the hospital between 2 o’clock and 4 o’clock or at the depot in Cowbridge(4).
 
Patients and staff    Staff 
BeauprePatientsStaff   BeaupreStaff
 
On 2 March 1917 the Glamorgan Gazette reported that:
On Saturday evening last, at the Town Town Hall, Cowbridge, an entertainment was given, to which the wounded soldiers from the Beaupre, Ash Hall, Southerndown, Pontyclun, Bridgend and Coytrahen Hospitals had been invited. After the soldiers had taken their seats, the doors were opened to the general public, and so great was the rush for seats that the hall was crammed in a very few moments. The programme was one which has seldom been excelled in Cowbridge. The artistes were all new to the town. Professor Charles Oswald (conjuror and ventriloquist, of the Inner Magic Circle, London) mystified and delighted the audience with his really remarkable powers, but, indeed, every item on the programme was well deserving of the appreciation shown. Miss Gwen Morgan, contralto; Miss Irene Price, elocutionist; Mr. Herbert Pockson, humorist; and Miss Hilda Simon, accompanist, were all tip-top.
 
And in the Glamorgan Gazette Siftings was the following:
We hope that the proceeds of the cinema show given by the Vicar on Friday last to provide little extras for the wounded soldiers at the Beaupre Hospital came up to expectation. The show was certainly "one of the best," the object worthy of support as long as the war lasts and as long as we have these wounded heroes among us, so long must we re- member our duty towards the boys who have done so much for us. To spend sixpence or a shilling for such an object, and to get two hours' amusement in the bargain, is not to invite haggling over creeds, doctrines, beliefs, religions, professions, etc. We are/just members of a mighty Empire, with one God, one King, one flag, and one object.


(1) Glamorgan Gazette 2 July 1909  (accessed 27 September 2018)

(2) GGAT 144; Casualties of War: Hospitals and Welfare Facilities (accessed 27 September 2018)

(3) Glamorgan Gazette 21 January 2016 (accessed 27 September108)

(4) Glamorgan Gazette 25 August 2016