||Oscar has provided a copy of an extract from a directory of St Hilary from around 1927. Click here for a readable version. (You will probably need to use the zoom in function in your photo manager programme to read all the text.) Some points of interest raised by Oscar are that:
- although there were 150 residents, only the gentry and farmers are listed
- Ackland-Allen at the manor was probably Miss Giles’ uncle
- Rev Crocket at the vicarage (now the Old Vicarage) was still vicar in the 1960s
- the farmers included two Misses!
- Col Bruce at the Grange employed people in village, including Maude Jenkins and members of the Cross family