...because the community matters
The Church of Saint Hilary of Poitiers
The first recorded reference to St Hilary church was found in a document dated 1119. In the document Bishop Urban of Llandaff claimed St Hilary church among the possessions of his see.
The earliest architectural features of the church date from the twelfth or thirteenth century, since which time both the fabrics and the contents of the building have undergone many changes. In its earliest form the church would have comprised simply of nave and chancel. The south aisle and porch was probably added in the 14th century and the tower a little later.
Two monumental effigies in the church also provide strong links to medieval times. One, lying in the niche in the north wall of the nave, represents a young man in civilian dress, and is believed to be that of a member of the de Cardiff family, lords of the manor of St Hilary in the 12th and 13th centuries. The other, that of a knight in full armour, commemorates Thomas Basset of Beaupre, who died in 1423. The Basset tomb chest with its effigy is sited in the central part of the church.
In 1553 St Hilary was among the Vale churches that were robbed of ornaments and vestments by Royal Commissioners, one of whom was William Basset of Beaupre. The name Beaupre is Anglo-Norman and is assumed to have been introduced into the area by the de Cardiffs of Bassets. It is derived from the old French beau repaire (beautiful retreat).St. Hilary Church tower contains a ring of six bells, consisting of Rudhall bells dating from 1742, which were recast into a ring of five by Taylors of Loughborough in 1906. As a community project to mark the beginning of the third Christian Millennium, Taylors added a treble, which was dedicated by the Archbishop of Wales on March 20, 1999.
Source: St Hilary: a history of the place and its people. Hilary M. Thomas