This inaugural St Hilary Village Forum will give you the opportunity to meet your fellow villagers informally to discuss village things. The plan is to hold it twice a year. Click on read more below for all the details.
Meet – Share – Gossip - Discuss
Amongst many other things, we might discuss:
• What's happening in the village – an events update
• What's not happening in the village – eg broadband
• What needs to be done – eg roads, paths, signs
• What's coming up – local and national celebrations
• What would be useful on the village website
• Who's who and who's doing what
• What people would like to happen in the village – both children and grown-ups
Ideas that have already been thrown into the pot include Queen's 90th birthday celebration, a bake off, book club, whisky club, open gardens, boules team or competition, treasure hunt, an extended foraging day, hill walking, daffodil planting, magazine telephone box and much, much more!
Why hold a village forum?
There is already lot of activity in the village:
• The Village Hall Committee hosts the St David's Day and safari suppers and ad-hoc events.
• In addition to Sunday services, the Church holds the thanksgiving supper, summer lunch, coffee mornings and other events.
• The Choir is busy with Remembrance Day and carol services as well as helping lots of other groups in and around the village.
• Liz and Andy at the Bush support the village with quizzes, Easter and Christmas celebrations.
• Charities, including MacMillan and NSPCC, hold regular events and there are other charitable activities every year, including quizzes and the Ride for Dave.
• There have also been foraging markets, jubilee celebrations, plant sales and afternoon teas.
However, people have told us that there isn't anything in the village that takes a village-wide perspective. For example, the main purpose of the Village Hall Committee is to maintain the hall, the Church is serving the needs of the congregation and the charities are focussed on their causes. All that is great and also provides the opportunity for the village to come together.
But there is no one place where:
• People can find out what's going on
• Air issues and concerns
• Put forward ideas for activities
• People new to the village can meet other villagers
• Long standing members of the village can meet new villagers
• Gossip can be shared and moans can be aired
So, the purpose of the Village Forum is to meet these needs.
It's not a committee. There will be no officers. And there will be no rules!
Just an opportunity for people to meet to share and discuss.
The first meeting is at 8pm on Monday, 25 April in the village hall.
Teas and coffees and cakes will be available and maybe a sojourn for a drink afterwards.
The intention is to hold the forum twice a year. We'd love it if you could attend and make the first one a success and something to build on. Helping people who freely devote their time and energy on a voluntary basis to continue to make St Hilary such a special place to live.